I am always interested in actors who chose to be in more than one comic book movie. Especially if they go from Marvel properties to DC properties or vice versa. It makes me feel like they may actually like comic books. I know I'll probably miss some. I know I'll bend the rules a little, but let's just all enjoy this celebration of actors who want bring us more Comic Book Movie fun!
Michael Keaton as...
1) Bruce Wayne/Batman
2) Maybe Vulture but no confirmation
It's not so much a step up so much as another chance for MY BATMAN to shine again! Michael Keaton won me over with this performance and I've been rooting for him ever since. Welcome to the winning team of the MCU, fam!
Tommy Lee Jones as...
1) Harvey Dent/Two-Face
2) Agent K
3) Col. Phillips
1) Batman Forever (1995) [DC Comics/Warner Bros.]
2) Men in Black (1997), Men in Black II (2002), Men in Black III (2012) [Marvel/Aircel Comics/Malibu Comics/Sony]
3) Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) [MCU]
I low-key love Tommy in everything I've seen him in. I will say though his Captain America appearance was pretty dope! Men in Black III was technically the last comic book movie he did, but his move to the MCU definitely was a step up!
Will Smith as...
1) Agent J
2) Floyd Lawton/Deadshot
It's hard to say. Deadshot benefits from being an upbeat character after a lot of downers. But, Agent J, is AGENT J! I wanted to dress like him for a year after I saw the first MiB. We'll see if Will gets to show up in another DCEU movie
Halle Berry as...
1) Ororo Munroe/Storm
2) Patience Phillips/Catwoman
No! Stay in your Marvel lane, Halle! No one liked Catwoman... NO ONE!
Scarlett Johansson as...
2) Silken Floss
3) Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
1) Ghost World (2001) [Fantagraphics Books]
2)The Spirit (2008) [DC Comics/Lionsgate]
3) Iron Man 2 (2010), The Avengers (2012), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Captain America: Civil War (2016) [MCU]
Scarlett finally found her home with the MCU. She just keeps getting better with her Black Widow role. It's unfortunate that she is a part of this messy Ghost in the Shell movie. But for now I'll just focus on how positive her Black Widow work is.
J.K. Simmons as...
1) J. Jonah Jameson
2) Jim Gordon
J.K. Simmons is so clutch that I can't imagine he'll do poorly now that he's crossed the aisle to the Distinguished Competition. No one is even being rumored for J.J. Jameson because J.K. killed that role. So here's hoping that he's part of a much more focused and entertaining DCEU film.
Ben Affleck as...
1) Matt Murdock/Daredevil
2) Bruce Wayne/Batman
While people don't necessarily like the movies... at least everyone can agree that this is a step up for Ben in terms of portraying an iconic hero and having more input on the process.
Ryan Reynolds as...
1) Hannibal King
2) Wade Wilson/Deadpool
3) Hal Jordan/Green Lantern
4) Nick Walker
It was the second stepping stone in his Comic Book journey, but Marvel and Fox finally let him do Deadpool right. So ignore the rest of the path and realise Ryan played the long game in order to get to the step up portion of his super hero career.
Rosario Dawson as...
2) Claire Temple
3) Barbara Gordon/Batgirl
1) Sin City (2005), Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014) [Dark Horse Comics]
2) Daredevil (2015), Jessica Jones (2015), Luke Cage (2016) [MCU/Netflix]
3) The Lego Batman Movie (2017) [DC Comics/Warner Bros.]
Yes everything Rosario does is a step up. I get that her Netflix work is on TV, but it's tied to the movies unlike the DC stuff so I'm counting it. SUE ME!
Morgan Freeman as...
1) Lucious Fox
3) Joe Matheson
1) Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), The Dark Knight Rises (2012) [DC Comics/Warner Bros.]
2) Wanted (2008) [Top Crow Productions]
3) RED (2010) [DC Comics/Summit Entertainment/Di Bonaventura Pictures]
I retroactively like Wanted and I don't want to talk about Morgan in RED even though I didn't hate the movie overall, but being a part of the Nolan films mean everything will be a step down after.
Chris Evans as...
1) Johnny Storm/The Human Torch
2) Casey Jones
4) Lucas Lee
5) Steve Rogers/Captain America
1) Fantastic Four (2005), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007) [Marvel/Fox]
2) TMNT (2007) [Mirage Studios]
3) The Losers (2010) [Vertigo/DC Comics]
4) Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010) [Oni Press]
5) Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), The Avengers (2012), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Ant-Man (2015), Captain America: Civil War (2016) [MCU]
Much like Scarlett, I'm not mad at Chris' past, but boy howdy is his Captain America work a step up! BEST MARVEL FRANCHISE EVER!
Lena Heady as...
1) Queen Gorgo
Yeah Dredd is a definite step up from 300. No hate I just don't really remember those movies. It's no GAME OF THRONES though!
Michael Fassbender as...
3) Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto
It's the Fass, bruh, so it's all good. Having said that, I have never seen Jonah Hex and don't remember Mike in 300. I think we can call his Magneto run a clean cut step up win!
Dominic West as...
2) Billy Russo/Jigsaw
Meh. I guess it's a step up. Jigsaw is more memorable to me visually than Theron. He was a bad guy in both right? I give McNulty's move to Marvel a tepid step up.
Brandon Routh as...
1) Clark Kent/Superman
2) Todd Ingram
I like Scott Pilgrim way more than Superman Returns. However, bit part in a movie that didn't do so well after being SUPERMAN, definitely is a step down. Sorry.
Nicholas Cage as...
1) Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider
2) Damon Macready/Big Daddy
Yep. Defitnite step up for Pauline's favourite actor. Ghost Rider is trash. I genuinely like Adam West... I mean Big Daddy in Kick-Ass.
Laurence Fishburne as...
1) The Narrator
2) Norrin Radd/Silver Surfer
3) Perry White
I may have my issues with BvS but I think Perry White is great in it. I think his move to DCEU is a definite step up. I did not like Fantastic Four 2 and TMNT was aiight.
Jeff Bridges as...
1) Obidiah Stane/Iron Monger
3) Unlisted Role
I'm just assuming I'll like Kingsman 2. With that good will I'll say Jeff Bridges is taking a step up from the misstep that is R.I.P.D.
Samuel L. Jackson as...
1) Nick Fury
2) The Octopus
1) Iron Man (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), The Avengers (2012), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) [MCU]
2) The Spirit (2008) [DC Comics/Lionsgate]
3) Oldboy (2013) [Futabasha]
4) Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) [Icon Comics/Marvel]
Starting off in the MCU and making sure that Nick Fury gets his proper due in Winter Soldier means I don't mind missteps like Oldboy and The Spirit. Especially since he had a great role in The Secret Service. My Kangol goes off to you, Samuel!
Joshua Harto as...
1) CACO Analyst
These movies came out within months of each other. Good for you Josh. Luckikly TDK came out second so that's a step up but you're in two amazing Comic Book movies no matter what.
Chin Han as...
2) Councilman Yen
I think the Winter Soldier is as close as the MCU will get to being like The Dark Knight. In that sense it's only fitting that Chin Han would appear in both. But I definitely liked his character better in The Dark Knight. Unfortunately, due to the arbitrary rules I've put forth, that means it was a step down.
David Dastmalchian as...
1) Joker's Thug... except I feel like he had a real name said hilariously by Batman
It would appear Kurt will be back in Ant-Man & The Wasp so that's a step up in terms of longevity in a universe.
Ray Stevenson as...
1) Frank Castle/The Punisher
1) Punisher: War Zone (2008) [Marvel/Lionsgate]
2) Thor (2011), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Thor: Ragnarok (2017) [MCU]
3) G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) [Marvel/Devil's Due Productions/IDW Publishing]
Even though I don't much care for Ray's version of the Punisher #TEAMTOM, at least he was the lead. Leading me to rate his work in the MCU and G.I. Joe as steps down.
Jeffrey Dean Morgan as...
1) Edward Blake/The Comedian
3) Jeb Turnbull
3) Thomas Wayne
Nah, bruh, it's all downhill from Watchmen. Unless, DCEU breaks out a Flashpoint Thomas Wayne! I guess I should see Jonah Hex though, it might be a hidden gem.
Jospeh Gordon- Levitt as...
1) Rex/Cobra Commander
2) Robin John Blake
1) G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) [Marvel/Devil's Due Productions/IDW Publishing]
2) The Dark Knight Rises (2012) [DC Comics/Warner Bros.]
3) Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014) [Dark Horse Comics]
I actually liked JGL in G.I. Joe. And I have few kind words for Sin City 2. So his affiliation with the Dark Knight Trilogy puts him Joseph in a spot of "he's done some good comic book work."
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as...
1) Hershel Dalton/Heavy Duty
3) Waylon Jones/Killer Croc
I like Suicide Squad so it's definitely a step up, but in terms of actual characters I'd default to Heavy Duty being the pinacle of Adawle's Comic Book Movie career.
Aaron Taylor-Johnson as...
1) Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass
Much like Aaron's career at large, he's made a step down in the Comic Book Movie world. What a wasted opportunity, Quicksilver was.
Evan Peters as...
2) Peter Maximoff/Quicksilver
BRUH! This is how you do Quicksilver! It only got better in Apocalypse! STEP UP 2 THE Marvel v MCU Streets!
Zoe Saldana as...
Yep, Gamora is great in Guardians of the Galaxy, and I have nothing but high hopes for Vol.2! Going from DC to MCU was definitely a step up for Zoe!
Idris Elba as...
1) The Losers (2010) [Vertigo/DC Comics]
2) Thor (2011), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Thor: Ragnarok (2017) [MCU]
3) Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011) [Marvel/Columbia]
I know Idris considers filming MCU films torture. However, I truly enjoy whenever he shows up in them. Especially AoU. Plus if Ragnarok is as good as it's viral campaign it'll be a clear step up! See Nic Cage for my thoughts on Ghost Rider.
Josh Brolin as...
1) Jonah Hex
2) Young Agent K
3) Joe Doucett
1) Jonah Hex (2010) [DC Comics/Warner Bros.]
2) Men in Black III (2012) [Marvel/Aircel Comics/Malibu Comics/Sony]
3) Oldboy (2013) [Futabasha]
4) Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014) [Dark Horse Comics]
5) Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) [MCU]
There is a potential for Josh to turn this MCU move into a step up with Infinity War despite my disdain for how his character has worked out so far.
Karl Urban as...
1) William Cooper
2) Judge Dredd
Yes I'm looking forward to Thor 3 so it's an unconditional step up for Karl at MCU.
Callan Mulvy as...
2) Jack Rollins
3) Anatoli Knyazev/KGBeast
I'm sure leaving the MCU for DCEU felt like a personal step up for Callan. He gets more screen time and he plays KGBeast not that they tried to sell that visually or by name at any point. However, the Winter Soldier is too good of a movie for me to allow a step up in this situation. I am enjoying seeing him on Power... but that's not a comic book property or movie so let's move on.
Michael B. Jordan as...
1) Johnny Storm/The Human Torch
2) Erik Killmonger
I get that people hated Fantastic Four. I didn't but I see it's glaring shortcomings. So no matter what Michael chose next it would be a step up. Even his work as Cyborg was better. But much like Chris, I believe Mike moving from Marvel to MCU proper will be the ultimate step up!